Friday, June 1, 2018

week 9 blog/ book report

Mitchell Banks
JN 134 RP
Lynsey Addario Book Report
5-30-18

                  I recently read a book titled It’s what I do by Lynsey Addario, an American photojournalist that documents the true human cost of war in Afghanistan for the New York Times. I admire Lynsey Addario’s bravery, ambition and determination to capture photos of such dangerous environments and grim situations. Her passion for photography and capturing the story is clearly shown through out her work. Her work gives viewers a unique perspective on the realisms of combat situations and the long-lasting effects that it has on people as well as their communities. I believe one of her most compelling photos is of a young Afghan boy named Khalid, after being hit with shrapnel fragments from a bomb dropped on his village. The picture shows Khalid’s innocent face bandaged and his bloodshot eyes are filled with fear and confusion (Its what I do, Lynsey Addario, chapter 9 photo). Lynsey Addario’s ability to capture both sides of the story set her work apart from other photographers. She is eager to capture all aspects of war, from taking pictures of high ranking U.S. military officers in tactical operation control rooms to villagers and Taliban fighters on the mountain sides of Afghanistan.
                  I really admire Lynsey Addario’s ability to challenge herself when it comes to her life and her work; she makes it her mission, like a navy seal commando journalism super hero woman. One of my favorite quotes from the book is “Every day I would push myself to do something I didn’t want to do…The philosophy extended to work: I allowed myself to enjoy life only if I worked hard, if I tested my limits, if I created a lasting body of work.”(It’s what I do, Lynsey Addario page 186.) That quote inspired me to get out of my comfort zone on a sports and action assignment for my photojournalism class. While I was taking pictures of dirt bikes practicing at a local raceway, I wanted to get closer to the action and the jumps. I found myself on the edge of the track kneeling down just a few feet from the racing motorcycles going down the track. I was nervous being that close and I looked around and wondered to myself,” Am I allowed to be here?”  Soon after a group of racers came by and I started snapping pictures, I realized I was in a great spot and my only focus was to capture the action happening in front of me. I’m glad that I pushed myself to go where I didn’t feel comfortable, because I quickly overcame that when I saw how great the shots were.

I would certainly recommend that other people read this book. The stories are eye opening and are so interesting that you just want to keep reading. The book does a great job of showing the everyday life and struggles of war on both sides of the fence. I think it’s important for people to realize and understand the effects of war on people and their communities. 
photo credit: LynseyAddario.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment